Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Miscellaneous notes on Cape Cod





On Food
Generally, the meals were better than diner fare but not by much. They bore the sameness of of food service companies everywhere. Don't mention strawberry shortcake to the tour group members. Every night, it was stale sheet cake with strawberry syrup on top and a spurt of whipped cream. We reached the point where the rumor that the last nights dessert would be chocolate mousse excited us. It wasn't chocolate mousse, it was chocolate cake but only for some. We got stale white sheet cake with chocolate frosting and were thankful even then. It wasn't strawberries.
Stacey enjoyed her lobster dinner. I had chicken.

On Swamps
“ On your left, you will see another fine example of a salt marsh.” I seemed like we heard that every few minutes. They're swamps, ok. I grew up in a swamp. I've hunted swamps and spent a good part of my life trying to keep the farms from going back to swamps. I know swamps. Yes, I know these are an important part of the ecosystem and are important to fisheries but it's still a swamp. It's going to be filled with biting bugs in the summer and dangerous to traverse in the winter. It's a swamp. Move on.

On Sites of Historical Significance
We were taken to the site of the first glass factory. It consists of a mis-shaped piece of concrete in some poor souls back yard. This house was an important tavern, that bar used to be someones famous house. The whole area has been lived in so long that its historical background has been churned like ice cream. I guess it's why I like Living History events. I like trying to live in a historical period for a little while. It gives a better perspective. We did get to a museum to the area. Not bad. I thought it covered the early history well with some fair exhibits.

No comments:

Post a Comment