Friday, July 2, 2010

More Vacation






I'll say this for W.Virginia, it's pretty. Ah, it's down right majestic. It just doesn't look real prosperous. I saw some good gardens but not as many as I thought. I can appreciate the problem of finding enough flat space to garden on but when they did have flat space, it was usually in grass. Strange.
We had another good breakfast and headed for the caverns. The Seneca Caverns were discovered by a white guy around 1790. There's evidence that the Injuns were there much earlier. They weren't opened to the public until the 1930s. They've gotten very old and worn since then. Stacey says we're jaded by all the good caverns we've seen. Well, that's not exactly what she said but it's the same thing. She's right, of course. Not too far away is Organ Caverns and it puts Seneca to shame. There are some interesting formations but not enough.
We had a meal at the restaurant. It's not bad but they used the local sulfur water for the ice. Stacey couldn't face the smell. I've drunk worse and a little sulfur keeps the parasites down. Back on the bus for 8 hours of riding , about half up and down hills. My knees are trashed from bracing. We were happy to be home. So were the cats.
The next day, I played hooky for awhile and went to the National Threshers Convention at Wauseon. I walked around for an hour or two looking at the tractors. It was fun but hot, so I went home. Our favorite is coming up in the 3rd week of July. The 5 Points Threshing is on. They actually use threshers to thresh grain there, plus there is killer bean soup and pies.
The plowing demonstrations are good too. Where else can you see a steam traction engine pulling a 7 bottom plow with 7 guys riding the plow to work the levers?
Since then, my spare time has been used on the garden and it's going well. We'll be drowning in tomatoes in about 3 weeks. The beans are good, the cucumbers producing and we've got to pull the garlic. Not bad.
I'll see if I can include less random pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment