Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Spring is coming

Spring is coming but it isn't here yet. Still, it's nice to have the increased sunlight and a warmer temperature. I've gone through my seed stores but I haven't made a seed order yet. I've got to get them while they are still available. I took some of my duplicates to a seed swap at Wildwood park in Toledo. I'm not going there again without a taser and an iron rod to beat a hole in the crowd. There were way too many people in too small a space. I picked up a few things, mostly greens and rutabagas.
Spring means shearing sheep as well. I plan on starting about the middle of the month. If I push a bit, I should finish by April. Then the lambs will be coming. The hay should last. I've got the steer for sale. If I can sell him, that's ok. If not, he'll still be good eating two years from now.
Spring means working the bees. We've got to get enough supers together for all the hives. Each hive should start out with 4 supers and I know we don't have enough. I still hope to plant buckwheat so I can harvest buckwheat honey. If not, there's a farmer selling cheap red clover seed. If I got lucky, I could harvest honey and hay. Red clover is tricky, though. It molds fast when cut. Unless you get a hot dry spell when it's cut, it can get dangerous to feed.
Spring means working the ground and I don't have the plow working. I just can't break the wheels loose. I've been trying every trick I know and some from other folks and they're still seized up. I'm going to try and scrounge some cash and buy a working plow at auction. The rototillers are still in fair shape so the gardening should go on. I've still got to burn the brush in the field. I need it gone.
Spring means songbirds, green grass and flowers but I won't have time for them. I've got manure to move.

No comments:

Post a Comment