Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Beautiful West Virginia


I'm in a van with 2 seats and 3 people. I've got a folding chair in the back and I'm pretty comfortable. We're on our way to New Cumberland, WV again to work on a perceived radio problem. We just put new antennas and feedline on the courthouse and the customer is complaining it still doesn't work the way they want. I don't think it's the courthouse.
It's been a while since I've updated you but I've been lazy. That's got to stop. I've got to build myself up fast to deal with the spring farm work. I should have a lot more to do this year.
My former fencing student is back from New Zealand . She has her degree but talks of getting a law degree with vague thoughts of saving the world. It's a waste of time, really. The world will putter along as it always has. Her family is all fine and overachieving as usual. It was a good visit.
Stacey and I attended The Evil Dead, The Musical at the Valentine Theater. Actually, it's a little theater buried in the side of the building. It was difficult to get tickets to. They sold out as fast as they could print them. The theater had to shoehorn extra shows in and still couldn't meet the demand. I managed to get us tickets out of the spatter zone, well mostly. I was able to duck behind a really big guy at critical times. It was a great show although hobbled somewhat by poor acoustics and spurious profanity. I think they managed to work in quotes from all the movies. Stacey and I finished the night with nachos at a mediocre Mexican joint.
The next day, Saturday, Stacey went to a bowling tournament and I went to the Toledo Botanical Garden seed swap. This year, it was held in the Erie Street Market and had enough room so that you could back away from the crowd and catch your breath before diving back into the fight. I came away with quite a few packets. Some were items I had forgotten to order and some were new varieties to try. I hope I can manage to get them in the ground.
I had some time before the swap so I bought some new boots. I've got another pair of Thorogoods. They're expensive for me but they are well made and actually made in America. I've gotten so tired of wasting my money on Chinese crap. My old ones were beat causing me a lot of foot pain. Within an hour, 90% of the pain was gone walking in the new boots. I still have some heel problems. I guess there's more damage there. I've taken my old boots in to be rebuilt. Try that with Chinese crap.
We had the Symphony that night but Stacey ran late at the tournament. We had to stand through the first set, the overture to Don Juan. The second set was a Bruch concerto for violin and viola that was beautiful. I suspect it was especially good to me because I'm loosing my high frequencies in my hearing and the viola is lower pitched.
After the intermission, they played The Organ Symphony by St.Seans. For those of you not familiar with the gentleman, he is now considered one of the great composers and noted for his organ works. The Organ Symphony has almost no organ in it. It was very good anyway.
Sunday, Stacey was back to the bowling tournament so I goofed around for a while. I( had a slight headache anyway, About noon, I took the Ford tractor back to work on brush clearing. The lifting arm takes a lot of the work away. The more I ran the chainsaw, the worse my headache got. I couldn't get the brush lit either. Finally, I went back and changed out the lifting arm for the back scoop. I used it in place of a furrowing plow to re contour a section of the field to drain the water off slowly to hopefully reduce erosion while still draining the land. I haven't been back to check my work yet.
By this time , my headache had reached epic proportions. I put my toys away and spent the rest of the night on a heating pad.
Tomorrow is March 4th and our 17th wedding anniversary. We're going to a Bed and Breakfast in Wooster for an overnight stay and attend the Tri-County Beekeepers conference. We haven't been there for a few years. I suppose it's not a wildly romantic time but it's what we got. More to follow.

1 comment:

  1. You're so very cultural these days! I was slightly disconcerted to find myself looking at my picture there -world-saving is coming ever closer. I just went out to visit the University of Virginia law school and loved it there!

    ReplyDelete